15 Truths to Know Who I Am in Christ (with prayers & devotions)
Do you ever struggle to stand firm in your faith with Spirit-filled confidence and know your value?
I’ve grappled with wondering who I am in Christ over the years and it’s when I look at Scripture that I find true and powerful answers to this question.
Don’t let Satan convince you that you should stay insecure or question your confidence. Because in Christ, we have value. In Christ, we have power. So let’s take a look at 15 truths to know who we are in Christ.
- I am a child of God.
- I am chosen to be holy and blameless.
- I am adopted as God’s beloved daughter.
- I am dearly loved.
- I am God’s masterpiece. He created me for a purpose.
- I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
- I am God’s temple. The Holy Spirit lives in me.
- I am called by God and He is working for my good.
- I can be confident because I have a spirit of power, love and self-control.
- I am chosen by God to bear fruit.
- I am helped by God and can approach Him with confidence.
- I am seating with Christ in the heavenly realm.
- I am Christ’s ambassador (chosen to spread His love).
- I am sanctified, made holy and a part of Jesus’ family.
I am a child of God.
But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God’s children, to those who believe in his name. -John 1:12
Lord, thank you so much for the sacrifice You gave so that I could become Your child. Lord, I surrender my heart and all my previous allegiances to You. You are my Father and I am Your child. You love me so deeply and I can cling to You in every moment. Help me to walk in the faith and joy of being Your beloved daughter. Amen.
- What would change about my day if I walked in the full assurance of being God’s beloved daughter?
- What does a child rely on their father for?
- How can I rely on God for these things today?
I am chosen to be holy and blameless.
Even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and without defect before him in love. -Ephesians 1:4
Lord, thank you for choosing me. Thank you for your sacrifice so that I am right now holy and blameless. I surrender my sinful desires and broken past to You. You have made me new. Lord, help me to fully know what it means to be holy and blameless. Show me how to walk in that truth. And help me to walk in the confidence of being chosen by You, Lord. Amen.
- What does it mean to be chosen? How does this affect me (my hurts, my fears, my confidence)?
- I am holy and blameless – without working for it. How can this change my day today? My thoughts, attitude and actions?
I am adopted as God’s beloved daughter.
Having predestined us for adoption as children through Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his desire. Ephesians 1:5
Lord, once again, thank you for choosing me to be Your adopted daughter. Thank you for loving me so much that You died to bring me into Your family. Lord, help me to fully know the power of this truth. Show me what it means to be adopted as Your beloved daughter. Fill my mind and heart with the truth of this kind of love today. Help me to walk in the confidence of being a loved daughter of the King. Amen.
- What does it mean to be adopted?
- How can this change the way you view yourself?
- How can we live as adopted daughters of the King today?
I am dearly loved.
Put on therefore, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, a heart of compassion, kindness, lowliness, humility, and perseverance. -Colossians 3:12
That Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, to the end that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be strengthened to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth, and to know Christ’s love which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. -Ephesians 3:17-19
Lord, thank you for choosing me to be Your beloved daughter. Thank you for Your perfect love that does not depend on my actions. Help me to know this love. Help me to understand this love. And help me to walk in the truth of this love. Because of Your sufficient love, I am able to have these fruits. Help me to clothe myself with them, knowing how deep your love for me is today. Amen.
- I was chosen to be loved. I don’t need to earn it. How does this change my thinking? My actions?
- What is something you dearly love? Explain that kind of love. (How much more does God love you?)
- How does love spur you towards these fruits listed?
I am God’s masterpiece. He created me for a purpose.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before that we would walk in them. -Ephesians 2:10
Lord, thank you for Your great love and grace. Thank you for creating me exactly as I am. Help me to be confident, despite my hardships and limitations. Help me to consider my suffering as joy as I love to do the good You have prepared for me. My purpose is to bring You glory, Lord, and I surrender my heart, my limitations, my fears, my plans and this day to You. Help me to walk in the confidence of being Your beloved masterpiece. Amen.
- What changes about my view of myself when I consider myself a masterpiece designed by God?
- What changes about my view of myself knowing God prepared my purpose and good works in advance?
I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
I will give thanks to you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful. My soul knows that very well. -Psalm 139:14
Lord, thank you for knitting me together and for knowing me intimately and loving me. You don’t just love a “good enough” version of me, but You love me just as I am. I am made “good enough” or worthy in Christ alone. Thank you for this truth today. I pray that You will fill my mind and my heart with it. Help me to know it well today. Lord, whenever my thinking strays from this truth, redirect my thoughts to You. In Jesus name, Amen.
- How can I thank God for knitting me together wonderfully consistently today? (This is renewing the mind and teaching my heart what God thinks of me)
- What parts of me don’t feel wonderfully made?
- What is the truth about Christ’s redemption and my identity in those very things?
I am God’s temple. The Holy Spirit lives in me.
Don’t you know that you are a temple of God, and that God’s Spirit lives in you? -1 Corinthians 3:16
Lord, thank you for the gift of Your Spirit. Thank you for filling me with Your Spirit and that I have access to Your love and grace and wisdom at all times. Lord, help me to treat my body as a temple today. Help me to know that You dwell in me just as I am. Teach me to live out this truth and to seek out the Spirit in each moment. Amen.
- What changes in the way you view yourself knowing that Your body, right now, is a temple filled with the Spirit?
- What would you do differently knowing this truth?
- How can you more consistently access the gift of the Holy Spirit today?
I am called by God and He is working for my good.
We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose. -Romans 8:28
Lord, thank you for the truth that You are working all things for my good. It can be so hard to accept when I am struggling, but thank you for this hope. Lord, help me to walk forward in confidence, knowing that no matter what I’m going through, You are working all things for my good. Thank you for calling me to this and for Your great love. Amen.
- What area of your life right now needs the promise of this truth?
- How does this truth change your approach and mindset about this area of your life?
- What can you do today to walk in the confidence of this truth?
I can be confident because I have a spirit of power, love and self-control.
For God didn’t give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. -2 Timothy 1:7
Lord, thank you for filling me with Your Spirit. Open my eyes to the Spirit at work within me today. Lord, teach me how to live in the Spirit of power, love and self discipline. Help me to live these out in my life today. Nudge my heart if I begin to walk in timidity. Help me to grow in the confidence of these gifts You have given to me.
- What changes about your day if you are living with a spirit of power? Of love? Of self-control?
- In what ways are you living out timidity?
- What is one specific thing you can do to walk in the Spirit of:
I am chosen by God to bear fruit.
You didn’t choose me, but I chose you and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you. -John 15:16
Lord, thank you for choosing me to bear fruit that will last. Because of Your sacrifice and Your love, I can move forward in confidence that You are working in me to produce good fruits. You are making me new. Lord, I surrender this process to You. Help me to recognize what hinders this process. I lay these things at the foot of the cross. Thank you for loving me enough to work in me, Lord. Show me my part in cultivating these good fruits. In Jesus Name, Amen.
- What fruit do you see God growing in you right now?
- What in your life might be hindering this growth/renewal?
- How can you surrender this to God today?
I am helped by God and can approach Him with confidence.
Let’s therefore draw near with boldness to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace for help in time of need. -Hebrews 4:16
Lord, thank you for your grace and mercy. Thank you that I can approach you with confidence whenever I need help. I know that You will be there with mercy and grace when I am in need. Lord, help me to recognize that my need is for You alone. Prompt my heart to turn to You whenever I am in need. In Jesus name, Amen.
- What is the first thing you do when you need help/are in a time of need?
- Do you feel confident approaching God for help in a time of need? What is a need you have right now?
- How will mercy and grace help you in this need?
I am seating with Christ in the heavenly realm.
And raised us up with him, and made us to sit with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, -Ephesians 2:6
Lord, thank you for seating me in the heavenly realms right now so that I have access to every spiritual blessing. I know that there is a battle raging in the heavenly realms between love and evil. Help me to be prepared, fully knowing my identity in You, so that I can take up the armor of God and stand firm against the enemy. Take the victory in every area of my life, Lord. In Jesus name, Amen.
- How do you feel knowing that right now you are seated beside Christ in the heavenly realm?
- What spiritual battle is raging in your life right now?
I am Christ’s ambassador (chosen to spread His love).
We are therefore ambassadors on behalf of Christ, as though God were entreating by us: we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. -2 Corinthians 5:20
Lord, thank you for your reconciliation. I praise You that You choose and value me to be Your representative, to be a part of spreading Your love and Your kingdom. I pray that You prepare my heart to be Your ambassador. Open my eyes to the opportunities around me to shine Your light. And give me wisdom. Help my heart to know confidence and value in this truth.
- What value does an ambassador/representative have?
- How can you be reconciled/recognize your reconciliation to God today?
- How can you represent Christ in your home/work/everyday interactions with strangers?
- Ask for wisdom and look for opportunities. Find one way to be Christ’s representative to those around you today.
I am sanctified, made holy and a part of Jesus’ family.
For both he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one, for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brothers. -Hebrews 2:11
Lord, thank you that by Your grace I am a part of Your family. Fill my heart with the acceptance and joy that comes from this truth. Thank you for making me holy, and sanctified, so that I can be in Your presence in every moment. Help me to know the power in this truth and to be confident. Amen.
- Do you feel holy right now? Why/why not?
- How can you remind yourself of the truth of this verse when you feel less than holy?
- What does it mean to be a part of a family?
- What changes about your view of yourself knowing you are right now a part of God’s perfect family?
- Take this verse with you today and anytime you feel less than enough, remind Satan you are a holy member of God’s family!
What verses have been an encouragement to you as you grapple with the thought, “who I am in Christ”? Please share them below and let us encourage one another!